Royal Meringue Cookies
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 egg whites, fresh (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- Lightly butter and flour two large cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, let the egg whites warm to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- With electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and vanilla until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- Gradually beat in granulated sugar two teaspoons at a time, until very stiff peaks form. Mixture should be moist and shiny.
- Drop meringue by tablespoonfuls, using rubber spatula to push meringue from spoon to form mounds, 1” apart. There should be approximately 40 mounds.
- Sprinkle each mound with sprinkles if desired.
- Bake about 1 hour or until crisp and very light golden color.
- Open oven door and let meringues cool for 1 hour before removing from cookie sheet. Store in a covered container until ready to serve.